June 1: Ascension / First Communions
- Reading 1: Ascension, beginning of Acts, "why are you looking at the sky?",
- Reading 2: Greatness of Christ, head over all things
- Gospel: Go make disciples of all nations, teach them to observe all I commanded
- Jesus left us with a mission: to tell people about him (Acts 1:8), make disciples (Matthew 28:19), and to be his body (Ephesians 1:23).
- The way Jesus told us to remember him and to be his body was to gather together for a meal: for Eucharist.
- Much of his teaching happened around meals. What was so special about meals for Jesus, and how did Jesus change our understanding of them? Jesus used meals to teach us about how to live with each other in community, despite all our differences.
- How can we strengthen the community in our own families (the domestic church) and closest circles of friends? A good place to start is to reclaim our own table fellowship. Families in the U.S. have meals together less and less and even when we do, we spend less time together. (Note: some care has to be taken to address those who live alone.)
- Perhaps share stories about your personal experiences of meals, whether growing up or more recently.
Handouts / Inserts
The PDF file is the best quality and smaller file size. Use it for printing or emailing:
The JPG file can be used to paste it directly in another file, such as for your parish bulletin: